Sunday, April 16, 2006

Pale Ale1

Pics to be found over at my main blog:

April 15th, Pale Ale1

This was my first batch I have brewed since my rather disastrous attempts 10 years ago. All in all phase 1 went pretty well. Unfortunately I forgot to write down what cracked barley I used. Derr!

Ingredients:

6 pounds light Malt Extract

12 oz. crystal barley

2 oz. Cascade pellet hops

I steeped the barley for a little over an hour on the kitchen stove at about 160. I hadn’t planned on more than 30 minutes of steeping, but it took me longer that I had anticipated to get set up for boiling. Within the first five to ten minutes of the boil, I got it up to a fine rolling boil and kept it there for about an hour and five minutes of total boil time. Half the hops went in at the start, a quarter in the middle, and the rest about two minutes before mixing with the cold water. Kyle said you want to cool the wort as quickly as possible so I measured the three gallon mark on the side of the primary, put in about 10 trays of ice cubes and one bag of crushed commercial ice and then filled in around the ice with water I cooled to just about freezing in the reefer. When I poured in the hot water, it didn’t come anywhere near melting all the ice – maybe half of it. I wonder it what I did was overkill? I added the yeast while there was still big chunks of ice. Hopefully that won’t matter. Sealed it with a fermentation lock. Temp. holding steady in the warming bath at about 60. I may have to get a second heater. It’s a two carboy heater.

2 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

THat initial coldness is probably why this one isn't "bubbling" as fast as the stout. Don't worry. Relax. Have a....beast.

My dad wants to make me an imersion cooler, and but the EXPENSIVE copper tubbing. Needless to say, I'm super stoked.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Scott in Washington said...

The imersion cooler is for bringing the temp down quickly or for cooling the beer on the way from the keg to the tap? Kyle was telling me about this copper tube contraption he built that shoots the cold water and the hot wort at eachother out of a series of nozzles so that they spiral around each other and cool instantly. I sort of understood what he was talkig about. I think I'm going to expirement with those cooler boxes that you fill with tap tubing and ice for chilled beer on the go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home