Sunday, April 16, 2006

Stout1

Pics to be found over at my main blog:

April 15th, Stout1

Stout1, like Porter1, and Pale Ale1 are all recipes put together for me by the guy at the brewing supply place. I told him I just wanted one of each to get my feet wet with, so to speak. I’ll start looking for other recipes and trying my own innovations after I do several more of these beginner batches.

Ingredients:

Two bags of powdered malt

8 0z. Crystal barley

8 oz Other barley

2 oz fuggle hop pellet

Steeped 30 min. Tried to bring it to boil quickly like I did with Pale Ale1 and it boiled over. I cut the heat quickly and only lost about 3-4 ounces. Added half the hops at the beginning and half about 5 minutes before the end of the sixty minute boil. I was out of ice after Pale Ale1 so I just put three gallons of super cold water in the carboy that received the boiling wort. Like with Pale Ale1 I then topped off the carboy with additional cold water to bring it up to 5 gallons. Batch was at about 55 degrees so I added the yeast immediately and sealed it off with a burp tube running into a 2 liter bottle. It has been continuously bubbling since several hours after that but no burping yet.

5 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The other malt was probably chocolate malt. I constantly fight the hot break. I hate it. I'm surprised the guy gave you Fuggles for this.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and you'll want to tell us what kind of malt extract you used...light dark, amber, and the *L number...it's a measure of "darkness". It stands for something that I can't recall at the moment...oh wait...lovibond number? Perhaps.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Why do fuggles surprise you?

Unlike the barley sacks which I threw away, I can retrieve the powdered malt packages to see what they are. I'm thinking of calling the guy in Seattle and asking what recipes he put together for me rather than trying to make sense of the sales reciept which has 30 items on it.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fuggles is a traditional English hop...I would've thought he'd use something a little more domestic. I use Willamette in all my ESB becuase it is, in fact, a Fuggle hybrid made to be grown in the NW.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

These transferred to secondaries without a hitch right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home